I laughed out loud reading my last post the morning after I posted it. I mean- I sound crazy! But I was thinking about everything that had happened over the previous week, and suddenly, I was furious. And I thought If I didn't do anything about it, I was going to explode.
I'm going to keep blogging because it's a good outlet for me. Writing it down helped a lot. And I'm keeping that post just to remember my pure, unadulterated teenage anger. And thank you to my very very sweet friends who send me messages asking if I was okay. I love you so much!!
I really like theology. Maybe because I was raised atheist, all religion just sounds so foreign and interesting. I watched this video the other day called "The Secret World of Mormonism" and I thought- Wow! That's really weird! I must know more. So here is everything I have learned about Mormonism so far!!
- Joseph Smith, leader of the LDS movement, (and the dude in the above picture), was actually a con-artist. He was arrested several times, and was known for telling "tall tales". And when asked to re-translate the golden plates, he came up with a completely different story. Uhhh....
- Male missionaries, or Elders, can begin their work at age 18 and can serve for 2 years. However, female missionaries (Sisters), begin their work at age 19 and can serve for only 18 months. When I asked Mormons about this, they told me it was because Elders had more important duties, and this is the way God wanted it.
- Temple Garments, or "Magic Mormon Underwear" is worn by the majority of Mormons, and is covered with special symbols that are said to protect you from the devil and temptation. And this is what it looks like.
- God is wildly homophobic, apparently. You are allowed to have "homosexual thoughts" but you are not allowed to act upon them. Isn't that sick? I was talking to a missionary who told me "in [his] congregation there are actually several members who experience homosexual feelings." and this made me really really sad, because how horrible is it that these people have to push down their true feelings in fear of going to hell? It's disgusting.
- "The family is central to the Creator's plan for the eternal destiny of His children." In other words, God has a strict outline for what a family can be and marriage = one woman + one man. (Even if Joseph Smith had 23 wives or whatever). There's a strict enforcement of gender roles, because "Gender is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose." Ew.
- The book of Mormon is full of factual inaccuracies. Just one example of this is the belief that the Israelites sailed to America and became native Americans. How is that even possible???
- Until 1978, only white men were allowed to hold priest hood. (!?!?!??!?!?!?)
- God only chooses white men as prophets. (??!?!?!??!??!)
I'm so confused by Mormonism that I'm going to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on Sunday. I'm not becoming Mormon or anything, I just want to ask some questions and find out more. Maybe I'll be a theologist when I grow up? Who knows.